Saturday, January 12, 2008

Chew on This - Book Club

I have started a book club at the school that I am teaching. (K-5 elementary school). Last year I read the book Fast Food Nation - By Eric Schlosser. The book discusses how the fast food industry has changed the way the US eats and how the products are produced, what impact these products have on our body, the workers and our society. Last winter Eric Schlosser was a Franklin and Marshall College to give a lecture. I was so excited to go see him speak. He was great and an hour was not enough time for him. I was lucky enough to get to speak with him and I asked what he thought I could do to help teach children about out food. He told me that he had a children's book called Chew On This!

So my brain started turning and I came up with the idea of having a book club with my 5th grade students. The book club would read Chew On This and we would learn about helathy foods and how they effect your body and we would make a food together each week that they can try. I have a journal for the students - each week they will get a page to add - the page has what food we are having (recipe), new vocabulary words, and their thoughts about the book and the food. My principle said that sounds like a great idea and the PTA helped me to get the books for the students.

I sent info home to all the 5th grade parents to see how maky kids would be intersted in the club. I thought I might have 5 - 10 kiddo's bring the papers back. To my great surpise I have 30 Kids in my book club!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.