Saturday, January 12, 2008

1st Book Club Meeting

It went pretty well!!! 30 children is a lot in my room. We only have 24 chairs - so we all sat on the floor on towels:-) I talked to the kids about why I was so passionate about food and health. I told them how I had health probems (when I was twenty and was on medication that was not helping but it was giving me liver problems) and I changed all of that by what I was eating and how I was taking care of myself.

We passed out journals, papers, books, and book marks. They got everything together then we went over our new vocab words (organic, pesticides, herbicides, and genetically engineered). We talked about lables on foods how the ingredients are the most important thing to look at on any packaging. We procceded to make guacamole and we had blue corn chips, peach mango salsa, and pinto been salsa. The rule for the students is that they have to try everything. If they would like more they can have seconds!

While the students were eating we started to read the book. I think the kids were quite surprised at the information the book was talking about. Chew On This discusses how the company's market towards kids and that they do not want you to think about the products that you are buying. We read about 25 pages and I asked the students to read to page 30 and they can bring the books back when they are finished. At the end of the club I asked them to write their thoughts about the food and book. On Friday I read the responses and everyone thought the book was interesting and about 1/2 of them liked the guacamole! I think that is a pretty good response for 5th graders (most of them have never had it before). I had some kiddo's bring their book back and they were excited about what they read and couldn't wait until next time! I was talking to one of the girl's mom and she gave me a great suggestion to have the students rate the foods on a 1 - 10 scale. It will give me a better idea about where the kids taste buds are at!

I am still surprised that I had 30 kids - that response is so exciting because there about 80 kids in the 5th grade. I can't wait until next book club. It is every other week and next time we are making hummas!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michele, this is sooooo cool. I am so proud of you. I can't wait to visit.
Keep us the good work!
Mary Jane

Jill Althouse-Wood said...

I am so happy you are doing this. I can't wait to see how it impacts our family as Maren continues through the bookclub. So next week is hummus. Hmmm? I've made it often, but I'm not sure Maren has ever eaten it. I am quite the hummus hoarder. Isn't that funny? Some people have a chocolate stash. I'll have to ask her if she's ever had it! Tonight we are going to a party and are taking rosemary garlic bean dip. Can't wait.

mel said...

nice blog!
i thought i should share this site with you:
www.foodroutes.org
notice that the show i was in is still on the homepage! :) (down to earth). but, more importantly, if you put the mouse over "learn more" some options come up. one of them is "libraray", and it allows you to search for detailed information on all sorts of relevant topics. i thought that might help you find good books to read. also, they have a lot of info on farm to school programs. perhaps this is your calling? ;)
lovemel

Anonymous said...

All the good and healthy foods will mean nothing when we plunge into Deppresion and Lawlessness. It's hear already, and nobody will talk or admit it. Good job on this worthy project.